Would you like more people to click the links you share on Twitter?
Here’s an easy way to get more clicks on your tweets. It’s a technique borrowed from the world of advertising.
Copywriters – that’s the people who write adverts – spent years testing which adverts sold the most products.
In particular, they tested different headlines, that’s the title of an advert.
Headlines are so important that copywriting legend David Ogilvy famously claimed:
“On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. It follows that, if you don’t sell the product in your headline, you have wasted 80% of your money.”
You’ve probably guessed what I’m going to say. To get more clicks on your Tweets, write them like headlines.
Fortunately, copywriters have invested years in testing which headlines work best. All you have to do is model the best.
That’s where headline formulas come from, and you can use these formulas as models for your Tweets.
Why Write Your Own Headlines
Most people (I’d say at least 99%) who share links on Twitter – either articles, images, or videos – use the original headline for their tweet.
That’s the lazy way, and in many cases, it’s enough. People with hundreds of thousands of followers do it.
But if you want to grow your Twitter following fast, and get more clicks on the links you share, then you need to take your Tweets to the next level.
You do this by writing your headlines. Here’s why it works:
- Most bloggers aren’t trained in writing good headlines. Pretty much all headlines can be improved.
- By writing a new headline, you can show precisely how the article is relevant to your followers.
- Writing headlines, you’ll become a better marketer and writer, as you see which headlines get the most clicks.
- As one of the few people who rewrites headlines, you’ll stand out from the crowd. (Hint: To see this in action, put a widely tweeted link into Twitter’s search bar. You’ll see many of the results Twitter ranks as “Top” include rewrites or edits of the original headline. Compare this to “All” results, and you’ll see most people just copied and pasted the original headline).
Your 3-point checklist for every Tweet
Ignore this checklist, and it doesn’t matter how good your headlines are. They won’t convert.
Before you share an article, blog post, image or video on Twitter, check the following:
- Is it in your niche, or can you connect it to your niche?
- Did you enjoy it and find it helpful?
- Is it interesting and/or helpful to your followers?
If the answer is yes to all three, you’re ready to write a headline.
A note on writing headlines: Headlines must deliver on the promise they make. Bait and switch will work once or twice, but you’ll soon lose your followers’ trust.
23 Power Headlines to Turbocharge your Tweets
To use these headlines, simply replace [blank] with your choice of word.
For example, let’s say your Tweeting an article on common Facebook myths. Headline #3 is a good fit, so your Tweet would be Everything You Know About Facebook Is Wrong.
- Do You Make These [blank] mistakes?
- The Secrets of [blank]
- Everything You Know About [blank] Is Wrong.
- Little Known Ways To [blank]
- Here’s A Quick Way to [blank]
- How To [blank]
- Mind Blowing! [blank]
- Liked! —> [insert original headline]
- Are You Out Of The Loop About [blank]?
- What Everyone Ought To Know About [blank]
- The Ultimate Guide To [blank]
- Finally! An ABC Simple Way To [blank]
- How To [blank] Like [name of celebrity]
- A [blank] Masterclass
- Don’t Read This If [blank]
- Here’s Why You Should Never [blank]
- How To Hack [blank]
- Yours Free! A [blank] Cheatsheet
- New Study Reveals [blank]
- Warning: [blank]
- The Perfect Alternative To [blank]
- The Easy Way To [blank]
- The Tweeter’s Guide To [blank]
Over to You
What are your favorite Twitter headlines? What do you find gets the most clicks?
How much money are you losing because of poor website design?
Conversions are where websites pay off. You must see your site as your laboratory! If you're a blogger might want to gain more subscribers. If you run an ecommerce site you want more sales. Maybe you just need more leads for your business. Whatever the action you want people to take your job is to make it easy. Help them help you. This free report is the marketing glue you need to fix your funnel.